Flashing Marlin To Anet A8's using Marlin Configurator App (Windows)

Step by step help for new users installing Marlin for the first time
Willem Bataillie

Flashing Marlin To Anet A8's using Marlin Configurator App (Windows)

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am

Hello, This topic is a guide to install Marlin firmware to your new Anet A8, using a Windows pc, so let's get going!!

First things first, you'll need your pc or laptop, the appropriate cable for connecting your printer via USB (a standard printer cable)
you'll also need internet access (duh), and finally your Anet A8.

Downloading
Firstly you are going to have to download the following files.
*NOTE: Python and PlatformIO do not HAVE to be installed as a whole but will need to be auto-installed every time you open the app, installing both fully will make this option irrelevant but it also means PlatformIO won't be updated

Option A: Install without python and platformIO seperate
► Show Spoiler
Option B: Install without python and platformIO seperate
► Show Spoiler

Installing
Now onto the installing part

Option A
► Show Spoiler
Option B
► Show Spoiler
Using the app
You have 2 choises here either you select a folder you want the files to be downloaded in OR you select a folder where you already have pre-downloaded files in. I advise to use the first option first time booting the app to make sure it has all the things it needs. When reopening the app just select the topfolder called "Marlin" (not the folder called Marlin within the folder Marlin itself confusing I know)

After one of the above options have been executed you can just start changing the parameters to whatever choosing.
You can also use some of the example configurations.
To do this click the left top option "TAGS/1.1.8" click the "Examples" button and then click on the ANET\A8 option and click on "Change".

If you want to check if everything works correctly go over to compile. Click on the drop down menu button and select "anet10".
Then just press compile. If everything works out it should say [Succes] if not it will say [Error].
When this happens scroll up to look what went wrong and fix that first.

When compiling works with succes you want to start up your printer and connect it via the USB cable.
If you had pre-configured EEPROM settings that you'd want to keep firstly go to "Consoles" and connect to the printer.
Do a M501 command to get all the parameters you had on your machine. You can re-enter these parameters either in your configuration or change them later manually with the console interface.

When you have done all of the above you're ready to change the firmware
Just click the "Flash" button and it will automatically recompile and flash the data onto your printer.

NOTE: The buttons work now as shown below:
Last edited by Willem Bataillie on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

soovee

Re: Flashing Marlin To Anet A8's using Marlin Configurator App (Windows)

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:47 am

tried to download these files, but getting an error message that says I don't have permission to access the files.

kckndrgn

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Here's a video with links to all the files/downloads needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZU9x2KtT0&t=37s

BTW, it is just as easy to install the arduino IDE and install Marlin the "traditional" way. In fact, i find it easier when 're-flashing' (making changes to the config files) to use the arduino IDE.
Printing on 2 Anet A8 printers. One from SainSmart another purchased used.

Willem Bataillie

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm

kckndrgn wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 pm
Here's a video with links to all the files/downloads needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZU9x2KtT0&t=37s

BTW, it is just as easy to install the arduino IDE and install Marlin the "traditional" way. In fact, i find it easier when 're-flashing' (making changes to the config files) to use the arduino IDE.
soovee wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:47 am
tried to download these files, but getting an error message that says I don't have permission to access the files.
Guide has been updated with working files. Sorry for the incovenience but it's all fixed now.