Flashing Marlin To Anet A8's using Arduino IDE (Windows)

Step by step help for new users installing Marlin for the first time
NathanB

Flashing Marlin To Anet A8's using Arduino IDE (Windows)

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 am

Hello, This is a guide to install Marlin firmware to your new Anet A8, using a Windows PC and the Arduino IDE software, so let's get going!!

First things first, you'll need your pc or laptop, the appropriate cable for connecting your printer via USB (a standard printer cable)
you'll also need internet access (duh), and finally your Anet A8.

To get started go HERE and download the Arduino IDE software.

Then go to HERE and download the Marlin Firmware ZIP file.

Finally go HERE and get the definitions for the Arduino software to work with your Anet A8 motherboard.

Now that you have all the files you need, run the Arduino IDE installer, and note where it wants to install the Arduino suite. (usually in C:\program files (x86)

For simplicity create a new folder on your desktop called "Marlin A8" and move the Marlin and Anet-board-master zip files to the new folder, then extract them in the folder.

Go into the Anet-board-master folder and copy the "hardware" folder directly into the Arduino program folder, (usually located at C:\program files (x86)\Arduino)

Your pc might ask you if you want to merge "hardware" folders, if so click yes.

Now go back to your "Marlin A8" folder, then go in the Marlin1.1.x folder, then in the Marlin folder, then the example configurations folder, then into the folder called "Anet", then to the folder called "A8"
(should be located here, Desktop\Marlin A8\Marlin-1.1.x\Marlin\example_configurations\Anet\A8)

You'll see 2 files there, one called "configuration.h" and one called "configuration_adv.h"
copy both of the files and navigate back out to the "marlin" folder, then paste the files there, it'll ask if you want to replace the files, click yes.

Turn your printer on and connect it via USB, windows should recognize that you plugged it in and automatically install the drivers for it.

Now scroll down until you see the file named "Marlin.ino" and double click it to open it in the Arduino suite.

Once the Arduino suite opens, go to the top of the window and click tools, then click "Board" and select "Anet V1.0" (it does not matter if your Anet board has V1.5 printed on it)

Then look just below the boar selection area, you should see a "Port", it should have a COM number next to it (usually it will say COM5, but it does vary)
if you don't see a COM number selected, hover your mouse over "Port" and select the appropriate COM (usually it will be selected automatically)

Once you have the Anet V1.0 board and the correct COM selected, click the big right arrow in the top left corner of the Arduino window, it will then verify the sketch and upload it to your printer.

Once it finishes the upload your printer will reboot and the LCD should show the marlin firmware boot screen. you'll also get a message in the bottom window of the Arduino software that the upload succeeded and used x% of the available x megabytes.

There you have it, Marlin is on your printer!!!!!!!

Note, the LCD buttons will now work as shown below

"If it doesn't work, just blow it up"

freddan_6

Re: Flashing Marlin To Anet A8's using Arduino IDE (Windows)

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 am

Some more comments on how to successfully flash

Only if you have a flasher you should tamper with the flasher settings in Arduino IDE.
If you do not have any programmer, select "AVRISP mkII" as programmer in the IDE.
If you have a programmer, for instance USBasp, select it. The programmer can be used to save you if you managed to destroy the boot.

If you get any problems I suggest you go into file->preference and turn on verbose compile and/or flashing and read the first line that fails and try to figure out what the problem is.

I am always flashing at 57600 baud, which is slower but works more stable. It is a setting I used since I was flashing frsky taranis rc-controller. Especially the USB cable that came with Anet A8 needs a lower speed.

blancofran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:36 pm

Any advice if I'm receiving this error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I googled it and can't find the answer.

Thanks

capranna

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello

I had the same problem. If you have a Mega with a RAMPS 1.4, try removing the RAMPS and then uploading your sketch or flashing.
Also check in device manager of Windows that you have a com port when you plug in your printer.
My problem was due to dead steppers mounted the wrong way round and the result was NO COM PORT and no way to flash.
Check your stepper and do not follow just any advice you fall upon : the right way round is checking the reverse of the steppers and looking for the pin DIR or Direction and making sure you mount with that pin facing away from the power supply, ie in direction of the LCD connectors.
I killed about 10 steppers by following incorrect information found on the net.

Good luck

Justen

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:21 am

Your instructions worked perfectly on my stock board just now. Thank you! to others, note that the Windows 10 'Store' version of the Arduino IDE is not so friendly to copying the hardware folder in. Go back and get the packaged installer if you tried it.

Justen

CellZapper

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi
I get a whole lot of orange warning messages about timers which appear to be generated by the use of the C:\Users\chris\Documents\Arduino\hardware\anet\avr\variants\sanguino\pins-arduino.h

Are the warnings usual, are they OK to load the A8,

I do get the white text saying it completed OK along with the orange warning messages.

I have followed your instruction to the letter (I think) and other instructions from Utube amongst others with the same result.

I have completely uninstalled Arduino ide and deleted all the suspect folders in an attempt to get rid of any rubbish I may have accumulated, before re-installing it again.

if I rename few folders to force Arduino ide to use the pins file in the "standard" folder the warnings go away, but I get an error asking to load the U8glib library which when loaded I get no warnings and no errors at all. Which of course doesn't mean it will be ok to upload to the A8.

I don't want to load a firmware that might brick a working A8 printer.

What is your advice

Chris