[TUT] Manual Mesh Bed Leveling

Step by step help for new users installing Marlin for the first time
hatefuel

[TUT] Manual Mesh Bed Leveling

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm

This post is an effort to provide and gather information on manual bed leveling with Marlin 1.1.8. This is the only version I have experience in so it will be all I speak to. I am happy to update this post with any information recommended.

Enabling Manual Bed Leveling

In your configuration.h, uncomment the following

Code: Select all

#define MESH_BED_LEVELING ;enables Mesh Bed Leveling
#define PROBE_MANUALLY ;enables leveling without a probe
#define LCD_BED_LEVELING ;adds level bed entry to LCD
#define EEPROM_SETTINGS ;allows saving to eeprom - this should already be enabled
Upload your firmware and you will now have "Level Bed' option under "Prepare"

Steps to level bed. * Should be performed before every print. Must be performed at every startup! *

Run the M502 command followed by M500. * This will restore all settings to default! *

Select level bed and you will see a message "Homing XYZ" and then "Click to Begin". The printer will probe 9 points. Use the up and down buttons to adjust noozle height at each location.

Once it's finished, run the M500 command or scroll down to "Store Settings" and select it. (I prefer running M500)

Go back to the level bed menu and you will see "Bed Level: ON"

Printing

By default, in Marlin 1.1.8, bed leveling is disabled with G28 command. :idea:

In your Start code you must enable bed leveling with M420 S1 after the last G28 command.

Here is an example of my start code.

Code: Select all

G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
G10 ; retract filament
M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
M107 ;start with the fan off
G28 ; Set Home Coordinates
M420 S1 ; Turn on the Eeprom Bed Mesh
G0 X0 Y0 F9000 ; Go to front
G0 Z0.2 ; Drop to bed
G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length
G1 X40 E25 F500 ; Extrude 25mm of filament in a 4cm line
G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length
G1 E-1 F500 ; Retract a little
G1 X80 F4000 ; Quickly wipe away from the filament line
M117 Printing...

This post is a work in progress. I am fairly new to 3d printing but wanted to share my experience thus far with leveling. My prints have been turning out much better since I started using this method of leveling. It was difficult to figure this out as there is a lot of information on leveling but not in one place.

This page was the answer and I give full credit for the start code as this was the last piece I was missing. I realized I needed to run M420 S1 but wasn't sure how to use it in my start code.

Please feel free to give me advice/suggestions on making this info more meaningful or to provide any info I've left out or gotten wrong.

if you haven't already, Check out the Anet Facebook group. Great group of people eager to help!