Lokbuild bed surface review

Adding Go Faster Stripes to your 3D Printer
Bravefruitcake

Lokbuild bed surface review

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 am

Hi everyone, I recently purchased the lokbuild bed surface for my Tronxy, so thought I'd give it a review for others who are looking to change up to something other than glass :)

So... first off I purchased the 305x305 sized one as the next smallest would be 205x205 (too small for the Tronxy) this wasn't so much of a problem, just an inconvenience as had to cut down to size but was easy to cut using kitchen scissors so no worries. Peel off the back and the material sticks straight to the bed with very little effort or bubbles. Be warned it is incredibly sticky so make sure you get it right the first time or you will struggle to remove again haha.

Next, how does it stick? Well... so far I have had only one fail print that curled up at the corners, this was my fault though as bed needed to be raised slightly, since re levelling, it has now been incredible at keeping prints to it, so much so I actually have a little trouble removing some things haha. Gives a nice matte effect though to the base of the print, I prefer this over the shiny gloss I used to get from glue stick.

I think this is the perfect surface if you print many small surface area prints as it will not struggle to keep it stuck, as for large surface area it is a tad hard to remove the print but once a small corner is lifted the print simply pops off...

Great for the price, I picked mine up for around 15gbp from local printing place, I mainly use pla but I have tested it with fibreflex material and will Be testing with asa soon also when it arrives :) haha

Overall I give it a buy, it looks great, is a cheap addition to help with prints and makes life a hell of a lot easier than sitting cleaning glue or hairspray off the print and bed all the time, this is a one time stick and go!!

I give it a buy for sure! :)

http://www.lokbuild.com

Rob2D

Re: Lokbuild bed surface review

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 am

These surfaces are fine and all but since you have to change them every month or so they become a terrible investment.

Just stick on a thin sheet of PEI and forget about it forever that's what I say.
Wake me, when you need me.

Bravefruitcake

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm

i will need to change it? what causes the need to change it though? thought as it was plastic type material that it wouldnt need changing?

LrdSatyr8

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Bravefruitcake wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm
i will need to change it? what causes the need to change it though? thought as it was plastic type material that it wouldnt need changing?
I've tried those sheets before... they work fine for a little while, but as you heat your bed they tend to break down and get brittle over time from the heat. Then when you go to take your print off they tend to rip and whaddya know, time to replace them. PEI sheet does the same thing... that's why I stick with glass... so much easier to remove a print, can take it off the bed without damaging or messing up the alignment of my print bed, easy to clean up, just makes life alot better in my honest opinion. I ended up getting two sheets of 5mm glass cut for me from a local glass place for $5.00... When I first started experimenting with glass I bought a dollar store 8x8 picture frame for $1.00 and used it until I accidentally dropped it and broke it myself. Glass is so easy to get ahold of and so cheap it amazes me that people keep finding other stuff to print on. Personally I like being able to pull the plate off the print bed to remove a print rather then beating it off the aluminum bed and damaging my delicate printer. I had a friend that used a hammer and chisel to remove stubborn prints and ended up bending it Y-axis rods. He had to replace them all. That's what I love about glass... really makes the most sense in the long run.
Whatever you do, don't tighten the nuts against the acrylic too much... you'll regret it!

Rob2D

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm

LrdSatyr8 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 pm
PEI sheet does the same thing...
Only if you literally tear a lump out of it though. And even then you can just patch it with kapton.

I have a few plates of glass too but I could never really get into it. PEI is easier and you never really have to apply anything to it. Or even clean it really.

I have an order in for Prusa's new spring steel PEI powder coated plate that should be dispatching soon so can't wait to try that.

Also going to be trying Anycubic's ultrabase on my delta soon, the textured glass thing. I actually got a square of it ages ago to fit the A8 but couldn't really be arsed changing out the bed when I don't have to.
Wake me, when you need me.

LrdSatyr8

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Rob2D wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm
I have an order in for Prusa's new spring steel PEI powder coated plate that should be dispatching soon so can't wait to try that.

Also going to be trying Anycubic's ultrabase on my delta soon, the textured glass thing. I actually got a square of it ages ago to fit the A8 but couldn't really be arsed changing out the bed when I don't have to.
I've just been printing straight on glass for awhile now and haven't had any problems whatsoever! It sticks really well, pops right off when it cools down, and is easy to remove and clean! Not to mention it's really cheap. I got a 8x8 photo frame from the dollar store for $1.00 and pulled the glass out of it to use as my bed. I clipped it to the hot bed with some binder clips and off I was printing. Its sooooooooooo much easier to use and I can remove it from the printer to take off a stubborn print and not knock my printer out of alignment from banging it with a hammer like I've seen so many people do!

The thing about all those printing surface things like the PEI sheet, or the Anycubic, BuildTAK, etc, is they do tend to wear out. It's not a permanent replacement. It comes from stupid mistakes, like using a putty knife to lift the print off and accidentally cutting the surface, or the hot end moving too close... just little things. So far with glass, it's the cheapest, easiest to replace and longest lasting surface I've ever used. You don't have to glue it or screw it down, just use a couple of clips and hold it there. I'll never use anything else again.

Now I have seen PEI sheets sold as cutting board surfaces at the dollar store (they come 2 in a pack) that measure 14x11 inches. I've thought of giving them a try just clipping to my bed (not gluing) and see what happens. You'd be surprised just how cheap alot of the stuff is that is sold just for printers. I saw the other day somebody was selling the springs out of clothespins as belt tensioners... a pack of 5 for $5.00... REALLY?? You can get a 100 pack of Clothespins at the dollar store for a $1.00... Don't go wasting money on something that you can get for virtually nothing somewhere else!
Whatever you do, don't tighten the nuts against the acrylic too much... you'll regret it!

Afro3Dprinter

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 am

I've recently replaced my original Lokbuild from the kickstarter and its lasted for months and months.... it does stick well to sometimes too well, near the end of its life I gave a light sanding every now and again to revitalise it.
Overall a good product.