Orange Pi and octoprint

Have a Raspberry Pi and want to get the best out of your 3D printer, here's how
freddan_6

Orange Pi and octoprint

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi
A short guide if you want to save money and buy a even cheaper printer surveillance.
Orange Pi is a cheap clone of Raspberry Pi.
The manufacturer points to firmware that is not there anymore, so the best option is to use armbian as OS. Armbian is found at https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-prime/ or https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc-plus/. I am using "stretch" "next" kernel without warranty.

I have one Orange Pi Prime, and one Orange Pi PC+.
The Orange Pi Prime is supposedly less mature, but the Orange Pi PC+ leaks memory and crashes at least as often as Orange Pi Prime.
Anyway, Orange Pi Prime is good enough on nightly build after mid December 2017. You need a ram refresh rate fix, that was made then, otherwise it crashes all the time. Don't print anything longer than 8 hours or your Orange Pi will crash.

These are my versions:
Orange Pi PC+: Armbian 5.38 stable. 4.14.14.sunxi
Orange Pi Prime: Armiban 5.37.180110. 4.14.14.sunxi64

Do not buy the Orange Pi Camera, it does only work with old linux 3.x kernel and only on 32 bit CPU.

And there is no /dev/media0 folder in linux 3.x kernel so you cannot use uvcdynctrl to set focus on a webcamera with the old 3.x kernel, so I am using a web camera with focus, and uvcdynctrl and new kernel.

The best for stability and possibility of starting the Orange Pi next day is to turn off kernel updates in armbian-config -> system.

To install octoprint you need to downloaded the source
There are some pre-requisits, I hope I got them all. I got however the C development environment running
Create a directory of your taste. I have all downloaded software in ext-src
cd ext-src
git clone  https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint.git
make sure you have python 2.7 and pip for python 2.7, and the development environment for python
sudo apt-get install python-2.7 python-pip python-dev
update pip to the latest
pip install --upgrade pip
or do it for all users
sudo -H pip install --upgrade pip
octoprint uses at least 3 packages, virtualenv, setuptools, pyyaml
sudo -H pip install virtualenv setuptools pyyaml
change to the octoprint directory
cd OctoPrint
install for all users
sudo -H python setup.py install
start octoprint
/usr/local/bin/octoprint

go to the website of your orange pi and port 5000. In my case 192.168.1.8:5000
You should see octoprint running

Don't have octoprint visible on internet without password protection. I have a linux computer in between, with https, and tunneling to the orange pi main page and orange pi octoprint page. The octoprint is also protected with username and password.

Gummiloewe

Re: Orange Pi and octoprint

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm

To save some more money i can't recommend to use a Orange Pi lite. Haven't seen memory leaks but random serial disconnects. Can't be the power (direct ATX with 25 Amps), the sd-card nether new and runs smoothly in a Pi.

pmercier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Am using a OrangePi Zero + OctoPrint. It work like a charm, BUT ONLY if you use the native serial connection instead of the usb one.

It's more compact than the PI and have a REAL ethernet controller :P (I hate WiFi).

Wyliecoyoteuk

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:20 pm

I have used an OrangePi one which worked ok, but it only has one usb, so I switched Raspberrypi3, now running Octoprint and Openhab, no issuse so far.
I use a tellstickusb to control wifi power sockets, so put one on my A8.

ModMike

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 pm

I use a a Pi3 model b with Octopi. I linked it directly to simplify3d and that works well however once the job starts I lose control. I can't stop the printer or interact in a any way until the job is complete.

Any ideas?

WarHawk8080

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Get Dietpi (based on armbian but re-designed and heavily scripted [for noobs])

It has a button you can click...it will install everything needed to run octoprint...all you have to do is login to the webpage and fill out the login info and done
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f ... 7958#p7958

You can setup pretty much any type of "server" on dietpi with the click of a button
I have an OPi PC running nextcloud with a 1tb harddrive attached to it, and a RPi B (the old 512MB RAM on with single core) running OpenVPN and a TOR relay (fixing to upgrade it to an OPi Zero)

My newest 3D printer (TronXY X1) will have octoprint running on a OPi Lite very soon

Dietpi.com
Last edited by WarHawk8080 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WarHawk8080

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 pm

ModMike wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 pm
I use a a Pi3 model b with Octopi. I linked it directly to simplify3d and that works well however once the job starts I lose control. I can't stop the printer or interact in a any way until the job is complete.

Any ideas?
Simplify 3D breaks the data stream...only one application can be connected to the comm port at one time

Upload your .gcode file after slicing to the RPi, then print that to retain full control of Octoprint

I am looking at a way to mirror the comm ports with an application using socat...but I have to test it and do a writeup first

freddan_6

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:37 pm

You can also enable octoprint api key and let for instance another computer on the same network upload to it. I suggest repetier-host. It has an upload button. Paste the api key from octoprint into repetier-host and you can upload with a click on a button from repetier-host once you have sliced.

WarHawk8080

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 am

pmercier wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 pm
Am using a OrangePi Zero + OctoPrint. It work like a charm, BUT ONLY if you use the native serial connection instead of the usb one.

It's more compact than the PI and have a REAL ethernet controller :P (I hate WiFi).
You will have to power the board externally because the OPiZero doesn't put out enough current to run the board thru USB

I currently have an old busted screen dual core laptop running xubuntu and octoprint (had to manually set it up)
It works like a champ

My TronXY X1 is going to have a OPiLite on it soon (once I get a replacement for the base...do NOT put blue loktite on the screws and get it on the acrylic!!!!)

elheffe

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 pm

To be honest here, that sounds like a lot of work to save $10 or so. It also sounds like it isn't all that reliable, lots of crashes, or possible crashes. Cameras that don't work. Why not shell out an extra $10, or just use a pi zero and call it a day? Not trying to troll, being quite serious here. Time is money, and that amount of time to do the work for something that has some memory leaks, and crashes, and seems to be not well supported... just doesn't seem like a smart idea.